Thursday, December 9, 2010

Security for Internet Routing

So far, I haven't heard much about secure routing protocols. As I mentioned in an earlier post, BGP is vulnerable to both mistakes and attacks. I recently came across a statement on RPKI from the Internet Architecture Board (IAB). The statement seemed fairly vague technically, but they seemed to be saying that using public key cryptography to secure routing protocols should be a high priority. Of course, I don't know whether statements from the IAB are common nor whether they carry much weight.

Wikipedia has a very short article on RPKI, which only said that it is in some stage of the standardization process. The most detailed information I have found is a brief RPKI summary on the APNIC site. It would be interesting to learn more about what security systems have been proposed for routing and which of them seem to be moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment